GUESS THE DUMB Week 2
It’s time for the second episode of Guess the Dumb! I said on Twitter that I would have two polls up this week, but the way I was originally going to handle things is stupid, so there will still be a single poll only this week, and next week will be the beginning of double polls. Fun times!
Anyway, this episode of Guilty Crown doesn’t reach the stupendously dumb heights of its predecessor — I’d even go so far as to say it’s a decent episode of anime, which by Guilty Crown standards is pretty amazing! There are some dumb moments here and there, though, so have fun voting for that crap.
1. Shu’s friends encourage him to give this discrimination thing a go. Oh so callous, but it loses dumb points because a) it sort of makes sense in a realpolitik kind of way, even though it’s still a huge asshole move, and b) the show clearly intends some parts of the pro-discrimination argument to be stupid and weak, particularly Yahiro’s lame, “It’s not discrimination, it’s distinction!” argument, which might work if there were any choice in Voids. Just admit you’re a Voidist, dude.
2. The F’s going to raid a hospital. Look, I’m anti-discrimination, but these folks are pretty lame. Didn’t one of them have a spoon?? “If you don’t give up your vaccine, I’m going to feed all your patients! Don’t make me do it!” I think another had a comb, and I’m not sure what another person had, but it looked like a juicer.
3. “HEY HEAL THIS UGLY CAR WITHOUT ANY COVER AT ALL SO THAT WE CAN ESCAPE.” *facepalm* He may as well have put a gun to her head and pulled the trigger.
4. Shu leaping into the middle of an explosion to save Hare. I thought about excluding this because I love action movies, and this is basically Action Movie Dumb, but the way the scene is laid out made me react like, “Wait, what?” so it goes on here. Hare’s already in the middle of the explosion when Shu sees her, but he can warp into the middle and tumble through the explosion somehow? What the actual fuck?
5. All that weaponry. I should have pointed this out in last week’s dumb moments, but seriously, where in the hell are they getting all this stuff? Man, we’re running low on vaccine and stuff, but if you need weapons or spy gadgets, we will hook you the fuck up!
6. The helicopter shooting Hare’s Void. “Man, these kids and their rocket launchers are really doing a number on us, but fuck it, THERE ARE TWO NEAR-DEAD KIDS DOWN THERE I HAVE TO BLOW AWAY.”
7. The beginning of Shugenics. Credit to otou-san for the term. “THIS GIRL I KIND OF LIKED BUT BLEW OFF BEFORE IS DEAD SO WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE ALL THE CRAPPY PEOPLE SUFFER. YOU’RE UP FIRST, COMB.” Next week: Special arm bands. The finale: Shu and Inori huddled together in an underground bunker as MR. DAN EAGLEMAN comes back from the dead to get them.
So there you have it! If you think there’s a moment from this episode dumber than the ones I’ve outlined above, be sure to vote for the Other option in the poll and explain your choice in the comments!
So there you have it! Before I go, the winner of last week’s poll was . . . impeaching the student council president! I thought that was the dumbest moment, and you fine folks agreed with me. Social Darwinism Yahiro-style was second, and POWER LEVELS was third. Good show, ep14! Good show.